Wednesday 7 January 2015

Being Creative - Upcoming Exhibitions

I have spent so much time filling in forms and admin related to setting up my business that it sometimes feels that I have lost touch with the subject that I am  setting it up for.  Fitting everything in around the school run and appointments is very demanding on my time and I feel like I haven't been engaging with any history or exhibitions. 
  I need this to change, I miss looking at art, visiting beautiful places and in depth historical debates (geek maybe but I do!) and the enthusiasm and drive they bring out of me. Without visiting exhibitions or attending conferences I feel that I am losing creativity and fear that I will lose the enthusiasm for what I am attempting to do. Does anyone else feel this or is it just me? How can I put together a workshop, curate, teach or write if I am losing touch with or am not passionate about the subject? Making time to explore and engage with history, art and culture is just as important as the paperwork and application writing!
 
I'm still working out how often it will be yet - maybe an hour a week, a morning every other week, but I will be taking the time out to visit a local exhibition or to attend a talk at the university and get my creativity flowing again and engaging in historical debate.
 
Here are a couple of exhibitions that I will be visiting this year -
 
National Portrait Gallery, London
2 July - 18 October 2015
 
 
It's no secret that I adore Audrey Hepburn, her style, films, compassion and humanitarian work. I was very excited to learn that the National Portrait Gallery are exhibiting her portraits some already seen, others more personal, starting in July. I haven't been to London in so long and this is the perfect opportunity that I will not be missing.
 
For tickets and more information visit the National Portrait Gallery website, where the following information was also obtained.
 
"This fascinating photographic exhibition will illustrate the life of actress and fashion icon Audrey Hepburn (1929-1993). From her early years as a chorus girl in London’s West End through to her philanthropic work in later life, Portraits of an Icon will celebrate one of the world’s most photographed and recognisable stars.
A selection of more than sixty images will define Hepburn’s iconography, including classic and rarely seen prints from leading twentieth-century photographers such as Richard Avedon, Cecil Beaton, Angus McBean, Norman Parkinson and Irving Penn. Alongside these, an array of vintage magazine covers, film stills, and extraordinary archival material will complete her captivating story."
 
Supported by the Audrey Hepburn Exhibition Supporters Group

Moved by Conflict
M-Shed, Bristol
Now until 1 March 2015

Pic: Bristol Museums & Archives
 
As I spend my time split between South Wales and the South West, exhibitions in Bristol are easily accessible (M-Shed is also easily accessible via public transport). M-Shed holds some fantastic exhibitions and workshops and I will definitely be paying a visit before this First World War exhibition ends.

Entry to M-Shed is free however ticket information for the Moved by Conflict exhibition is available via the M-Shed website here, where the following information was also obtained.

"The First World War had a profound effect on Bristol and its people. Through hundreds of original objects and archives Moved by Conflict explores the physical, social and personal changes made by war.
In association with Bristol Old Vic, people’s stories reveal how local lives have been altered by the turmoil of war. This moving and informative exhibition will take you from Bristol in the early 1900s and its position in the British Empire, through 1914–1918, to people in the city today affected by current global conflicts."
 
 How do you get your creativity back when you lose touch with it? Are there any exhibitions that you know of coming up? I'd love to hear about any talks you've attended or places that you've visited recently.
 
 Amy
xx
 
Linking up with Random Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I'll get to you as soon as I can! xx