Tuesday 30 December 2014

December Happenings - Introducing Maya



I can't believe I've missed the last two festive weeks in blog land. I hope that you all had a fantastic Christmas and are enjoying what's left of any time off. I seem to have been living in some alternative world lately, so much has gone on yet we haven't really done too much. We enjoyed a very quiet Christmas this year, the main reason being that Megan and I were both very unwell the week before and I certainly wasn't up to doing anything elaborate. 



There are a distinct lack of photos from this Christmas mainly as I'm the one who would normally take them, but what we do have are lots of photos from our new arrival! 



Two weeks before Christmas (I know how crazy are we!), we drove to Swindon to pick up our beautiful rescue husky Maya. It wasn't perfect timing but she was everything that we'd been looking for and we knew we couldn't pass her up. She is 2/3 years old and when she was taken in was severely underweight. She's still small for a husky and we have some work to do but her foster carers have done a fantastic job in the seven months that they've had her. Can you believe they were looking after eight huskies! Some of them waved Maya off in the window when we took her home! 




The night we picked her up however, Megan ended up in hospital with breathing difficulties due to the sudden onset of a chest virus. She ended up off school for the last week of school and I picked it up aswell. Without wanting to be dramatic I can't remember the last time I was so unwell as it set off the fibromyalgia and I was left bedridden. The doctor told us it was lasting 1-2 weeks in children and 3+ weeks in adults, panic set in as we weren't ready for Christmas at all! Thankfully everyone loves Maya and there was no shortage of people offering to walk her for us. Much to Tim's relief, I was able to get up Christmas Eve (meaning he didn't have to cook dinner). We had as quiet a Christmas as possible with three children and we could start taking Maya to experience lots of 'firsts'. 


The day after Boxing Day we had a child free morning and although the weather was bad I needed to get out if the house and blow away the cobwebs. We took Maya to Ogmore by Sea in the Vale of Glamorgan. It's a stunning coast line where I have a lot of childhood memories and it was nice to create our own. The weather couldn't make up it's mind, when we arrived it was raining but there was the most beautiful rainbow, then the sun reappeared and the wind was biting. 


Maya was rescued from London and had never experienced the beach before and it's safe to say she loved it! I don't think she expected the waves to be as cold but she had fun chasing them and playing with some other dogs. 


As a husky she is a lot of work, she will walk for as long or as often as you will take her and is very cheeky, but the love and cuddles she gives outweigh all of that. I'd thoroughly recommend adopting a pet from a rescue centre, so many animals need a new loving home and it's heartbreaking the numbers that these devoted centres are looking after. We had spent a long time looking for the right dog and spent the whole afternoon with Maya and her foster carers to make sure that she was right for our family. We took her for walks and watched her with children and  the other animals, after all owning a dog is a huge responsibility and not something to do on a whim. The only thing I wouldn't suggest is having a real Christmas tree with a big dog - I seem to spend all of my time sweeping the pine needles! 

How was your Christmas? Are you still on holiday? Have you adopted a pup before? 

Amy
xx

Linking up with IBOT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I'll get to you as soon as I can! xx